New Jersey native Ken Fine realized early that if he couldn't emulate his idol, Mickey Mantle, on the baseball diamond, he’d become a slugger in the retail food business.
Over four decades, he’s done just that with innovative culinary ventures, from boutique wines to gourmet food shops and speciality coffee.
• In 1968, he created Fine Spirits Wine and Cheese, a New Jersey wine and gourmet store that attracted an international following.
• In 1970, he founded Fibro Corp., exporter of boutique wines from the pioneer vineyards of Napa and Sonoma that captured the new wave of the California wine boom.
• In 1973, he established Fine Cheese, retailers of gourmet cheese from around the world.
• In 1977, he opened Turn of the Century Wine & Cheese, the largest wine and cheese shop in the Mile High City of Denver.
• In 1990, he introduced Just Beans, encompassing the largest selection of 101 types of premium coffee beans.
• In 1994, he began designing and building fine coffee shops; Seattle City Coffee, Central City Coffee, and King Pelican Coffee Bar. His decade-long, David & Goliath head-to-head competition with Starbucks drew international media attention.
And now, this power hitter expands the King Pelican™ brand by making these deluxe proprietary blends from the finest coffee-producing countries available on-line to consumers nationwide.